How to Connect with God
1. God loves you
God loves you and He wants you to live an abundant life and a full life. That life can’t be lived without having a right relationship with God himself. He is the source of all goodness, mercy, success, prosperity, love, joy and peace.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
John 10:10 "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
Jer. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” NIV
2. Man is sinful and is away from God.
God has created us in His own image with the freedom of choice to obey or disobey God. However, man chose to disobey God and thus sinned against Him. Now no one by his or her own strength, good works, good thoughts, religious rituals, traditions, sacrifices and pilgrimages can know God. Religions will lead man into rituals and rites, but a relationship with God will lead into righteousness and right doings.
There are basically two kinds of sins that man has in his life:
1. By Birth: Such sins which a man has in his nature from the very birth itself. They have been transmitted into him from generation to generation from the first man, Adam.
2. By Works: Sins man commits in his everyday life, through his walk, talk, look, thoughts and deeds. Isa 59:1-2 “Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.”
Rom3:23 “...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
Rom.6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
3. Only Jesus Christ can restore our relationship with God.
In order to connect us back to God there has to be a perfect man (sinless) who has relationship with God. But there was nobody who was without sin. So God himself took human form to save mankind, whose name is Jesus (one who saves), Christ (one who is empowered or anointed to do this work). Now whoever believes in Jesus Christ (God’s provision) and accept Him as his personal Lord and Savior shall be restored back to God and will be saved from the coming wrath of God (Hell). Jesus Christ bore the punishment of all humanity upon Himself and made possible eternal life for us.
John 1:12-14 “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”
Rom. 5:8 “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Acts 4:12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Isaiah 53:5 “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.”
1Pet 2:24 “…who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed.”
1Tim 2:5 “For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus”.
4. Now what is your Response to God’s Provision of Salvation?
Our minds thinks wrong, He bore a crown of thorns on His head, our feet go to wrong places so His feet were nailed on the cross, our hands does wrong so His Hands were pierced with the nails, our hearts desires wrong so His side was pierced with the spear. He paid the price for the whole humanity in full and declared on the Cross “It is Complete”, now if we repent of our sins and ask forgiveness and invite Him into our hearts we will become God’s children.
John 1:12 “But to all who received Him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God.”
Rom 10:9-10 “…because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For man believes with his heart and so is justified, and he confesses with his lips and so is saved.”
Eph 2:8 “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God-9 not because of works, lest any man should boast.”
Rev. 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.”
Mt. 11:28 “Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
Rom. 10:13 For, "everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved."
5. To receive Christ:
1. Acknowledge that I am sinner.
2. Believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross and rose again from the dead.
3. Repent of my sins and invite Jesus Christ in my heart.
4. Accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior.
You can pray as following: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I am a sinner, please forgive my sins and short comings. I repent of all sins, please come in my heart and cleanse me, sanctify me, give me your Holy Spirit so that I can live a holy life. I pray in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen!
6. Now what: since you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord, following things will help you to grow in Him.
1. Pray in Jesus’ name daily.
2. Read the Word of God (Bible) daily.
3. Obey the Word always.
4. Find a good Bible-based Church and fellowship there with other believers and servants of the Lord (Pastors).
5. Trust God for everything.
6. Walk according to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
7. Witness for Christ through your works and words.
I want to congratulate you for making this decision. This is the best decision that you have ever taken in your life. I pray that God may fill you with His abundant and victorious life. May God Bless you as you continue to grow in Him. Amen!
Pastor Jatinder P. Gill